What topics can I ask about here?
This site is for professional and amateur cooks and chefs, and anyone else who works in the kitchen or is interested in preparing and serving delicious meals.
If you have a question about:
- Cooking & food preparation methods
- Kitchen equipment
- Food handling and storage
- Ingredient selection and use
- Recipe comprehension, improvement, and repairs
...then you've come to the right place - we want to help you!
What about other food-related questions?
Please note that the following subjects are considered off-topic here:
- Recipe swapping ("I need a recipe for banana cream pie!")
- General health and diet issue (e.g. "Is cauliflower healthy?")
- Career advice
- Wine-making, Brewing, Distillation and Fermentation (try homebrew)
- Flavor pairing ("What goes with pistachio?"), including ingredient choice ("Which herbs to add to a soup with beef, onions and carrots?")
- Questions about food in general, but not about its preparation ("Why do Anglosaxon cultures consider eggs a breakfast food?")
- Asking whether a plant or animal is edible. Try Gardening & Landscaping for identifying a plant, which can help you determine if it is edible.
Finally, while food safety in general is on-topic, if you ask a question on how long improperly stored food will be safe (e.g. "I forgot meat on the counter overnight), it will be closed. Please refer to our food safety faq to learn the basic rules of food safety.
If you want to get a more detailed break down of how the site works or why a certain question is on or off topic, then you can browse the questions tagged
[faq] on the discussion site.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Seasoned Advice, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.