Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I come from a Moroccan background where they prepare a dish call 'Harshuf'. The name is from the main ingredient stalks of the artichoke plant. It is cooked with lemon and chicken.

Does anyone know what artichoke stalks are called in the US?

share|improve this question
@Andrew - in the past "where can I find..." type of questions have been closed as too localized. Asking about names for artichoke stalks across the world would be on-topic, but as this question stands I think it may be closed. – justkt Dec 17 '10 at 20:00
Do you have a link to a recipe? I'm just curious, no bearing on the question. My googling has been unsuccessful - though your question is at the top of the list! – Jefromi Dec 17 '10 at 20:02
@justkt: I have modified the question to be on-topic? – Andrew Stein Dec 27 '10 at 16:08
@Jefromi: I do not have a recipe on line. It is a traditional family recipe. – Andrew Stein Dec 27 '10 at 16:08
Is cardoon what you're looking for? It's very closely related to artichokes, and is grown for the stalks. Availability may still be a problem - it's not common, but it's definitely out there. I know my grandmother manages to find it in grocery stores here (Texas) with reasonable frequency. – Jefromi Dec 27 '10 at 21:26
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Cardoon is what I am looking for. Thanks to Jefromi for supplying the answer in the comments.

P.S. from Jefromi: according to the Wikipedia article linked above, it's also called artichoke thistle, cardone, cardoni, carduni or cardi.

share|improve this answer

The correct name of Harshuf in English is Cardone. It's usually sold in farmer's markets. Here is a website where you might be able to get it:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.