So I got a bunch of what I thought were locally grown organic brussel sprouts from the local coop the other day. They came in an unlabeled zip lock bag, which usually means small local farm. I cooked em up with some butter and oregano. I under cooked them a little bit, but I usually prefer them that way. When I went to eat them, I began to notice that they had a mild chemically taste. It burned in my nose and the back of my mouth a little bit. It was a sensation very similar to the one caused by ammonia or bleach fumes. I hadn't washed them as thoroughly as I perhaps should (there were black spots on them I hadn't noticed before, but the cooking brought them out).
So my question is, what did I just eat? Do brussel sprouts naturally have some ammonia or something similar I might have been tasting (and why don't I remember tasting it when I've eaten them in the past)? Did I just down some lovely pesticides and herbicides? Could those black spots been a fungus that was producing something unpleasant? What's the deal?