Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I was young, someone taught me how to make this powder you find on candy. It's acidic and seems to "sparkle" in the mouth, but I don't know the name and so I can't find a recipe.

I suppose I need to use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), but aside from that, I can't remember what's in it.

What's the name of this powder and how is it made?

share|improve this question
What a fun question! Thanks for asking. – Chad Jan 26 '11 at 16:20
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I assume you mean sherbet, which is made by mixing 1 cup of powdered sugar (also called icing or confectioner's sugar) with 1 tsp of baking soda (also called bicarbonate of soda) and 1 tsp of powdered citric acid. Altering the proportion of soda (alkali) to citric acid makes it more or less fizzy.

share|improve this answer
Just to add a small note: this is the UK sense of sherbet; in the US, sherbet more commonly means a frozen dessert similar to sorbet. – PLL Nov 27 '15 at 12:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.