Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Many years ago (35+) my grandmother received a container of a 'sponge cake improver' from a family member whom was a commercial baker. She describes it as looking like a thick amber liquid or paste.

The method of using it was to put two teaspoons of this improver into a mixer with all the other ingredients, beat on high, and then turn into the cake tin. The result was a high quality sponge, every time.

I've tried searching for what this product might be called, but turned up short.

Without resorting to scouring a commercial baking centre - can someone identify what this commercial sponge cake improver would be?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

A quick search seems to suggest it's a liquid emulsifier. It's not the most natural of products: a couple of E-numbers and propylenes in there.

Click across to Cake Gel Improvers.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, looks like this is the way to go. – Will Hughes Jan 27 '11 at 11:51

Look at the PentaCake cake improver version for sponge cakes:

share|improve this answer
Nice. Are they available outside Israel? – J.A.I.L. Nov 19 '12 at 13:11
The PentaCake Gel is exported worldwide, but for industrial use only (1 MT minimum quantity per order). – user18865 Jun 21 '13 at 15:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.