Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What happens inside mushrooms when you reheat them?

Is it always unsafe to reheat them or is there something you can do to safely reheat them?

share|improve this question
What's a champion? I can't find any mention on Wikipedia of a food item called a champion. – ceejayoz Jul 17 '10 at 12:25
Voting to close as too localized, because nobody seems to know what this is about and there's been no response to comments for close to 4 hours. – Aaronut Jul 17 '10 at 16:05
Oh, sorry for getting the English term wrong. – Christian Jul 19 '10 at 11:33
up vote 13 down vote accepted

In France, white button mushrooms are called champignons.  Before refrigeration was common, books suggested not to keep cooked mushrooms or reheat them, because undercooked mushrooms would quickly spoil.  If you cooked them and later keep them in the refrigerator, it is safe to reheat mushrooms.  Treat mushrooms as you would treat meat.

Mushrooms are mainly water, so they reheat well in the microwave.  Do it on low power. Depending on the cooking technique, the texture may change by using high power.     

share|improve this answer
Small detail: In France, all mushrooms can be called “champignons”. If you need to be specific, white button mushrooms are called “champignons de Paris”. It's in Germany that white button mushrooms are called simply “champignons”. – Relaxed Feb 19 '14 at 14:52

It depends very much on which mushrooms. For button mushrooms, see papin's answer; this does not however hold for wild mushrooms.

In particular, some wild mushrooms (in particular those called "le champignon bleu" in French, I never found out what they were in English) may cause serious poisoning if eaten 24 hours after cooking. Believe me, I know. Apparently they contain a protein which changes after cooking, and one day is enough for it to become poisonous.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.