Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We eat many fruits and veggies at home and I am concerned about the amount pesticides on fruits like strawberries. Is washing the fruit effective enough? Does a thorough wash vs. a quick rinse make any difference?

share|improve this question

migrated from May 10 '11 at 6:19

This question came from our site for parents, grandparents, nannies and others with a parenting role.

First of all, I recommend prefering in-season vegetables/fruits for eating healthy. The link below includes a basic diagram – MissesBrown Dec 18 '11 at 11:25

A long term answer would be to grow your own if possible. That way you have complete control over your food. Or at least purchase from a local farmer that is willing to let you see how he/she grows their produce.

Even organics need to be washed. Most all commercial organics use a form of pest control (most likely diatomaceous earth), they also use natural fertilizers like manure and compost. None of those things are items you need to directly ingest.

The best advice I have is to wash then soak fruits and vegetables in lukewarm water. After a soak wash again. For foods with pitted surfaces, strawberries, potatoes, etc, use a soft bristled brush to gently scrub the food. That will get most anything off the outside.

Of course there will be trace amounts of anything that was sprayed on the item inside of the item.

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the advice of purchasing from local farmers and growing your own. – MissesBrown Dec 18 '11 at 11:59

This might be very dependent on where you live and how 'good' the environment/pesticide guidelines are where you live.

Most fruits with a hard 'skin' won't let any pesticides leak through choose those when in doubt.

share|improve this answer

Since you don't know which pesticide (or herbicide) was applied to your produce/fruits, you should opt for both a regular wash, and a wash with acetic acid (vinegar).

Many pesticides are non-polar - meaning they're not soluble in water; therefore washing with plain water won't do much good for you.

share|improve this answer
I do sometimes use vinegar as well for row-eaten ones; after washing them I put a few drops of vinegar in a water full bowl and leave them in water a few minutes and then use/eat without washing them again. – MissesBrown Dec 18 '11 at 11:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.