Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a blue plastic lid for my glass Anchor container. I noticed that the lid is very sticky to the touch from both sides. I've cleaned it thoroughly with soap but the stickiness is still there. This lid is supposed to be microwave safe but I never used it while heating up food.

I also noticed a similar texture with with my semi-transparent Tupperware plastic container. For this one, the lid is fine but the container itself is sticky on the inside.

Has anyone experienced that before with plastic lids or containers? The stickiness is the same all year long. Is there a way to clean it or has the product reached its end of life?

share|improve this question
    
Keeping them dipped in warm water and then cleaning them with lemon peel might help. –  TheIndependentAquarius Jul 19 '11 at 3:54
add comment

9 Answers 9

up vote 4 down vote accepted

When I get this, it's almost always old grease that didn't get washed off properly in the first place. We have some newer storage containers that are, for some reason, really strongly attractive to grease and have to be washed very carefully with lots of detergent or they're sticky next time we go to use them.

My usual solution is to rub the whole thing with undiluted dishwashing liquid and let it sit a minute or two. Then I rub/rinse with the hottest water I can stand until it's all squeaky clean. This usually works.

If your grease is several layers deep or really old, you might have to resort to a grease cutter like Formula 409 or one of the citrus-based degreasers, followed up with plenty of detergent. I would not use solvent any stronger than a commercial cleaning spray because of the risk of damaging the plastic. I also would not scour the plastic. The scratching will make it exponentially harder to get all the way clean, and the deepest scratches can harbor bacteria (ask any home brewer who scoured his brew bucket how much it increases the risk of infection).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Do not use Goo Gone on anything you'll be eating from - it's okay to use it on the outside of a food container to remove label residue, but many plastics absorb chemicals, so I'd be careful using it to "clean" an entire Tupperware container. Even if you wash the container thoroughly with soap and water afterward, it will likely still smell like Goo Gone.

Soaking in a hot water + grease-cutting detergent is your best best. Products with citrus in them will work best, but still require a decent amount of scrubbing.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Goo-Gone works really well for me; it has never failed me, yet.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I've noticed it, and I guess it is grease. Use hot water, soap, and leave the tupper soaking for a couple of hours; use elbow grease too.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Soak the sticky containers in a 50-50 blend of warm water and ammonia. Follow that up by washing them in the sink or dishwasher and the stickiness will be gone!

share|improve this answer
add comment

On plastic, stickiness that won't go away is usually adhesive residue from a label that was run through the dishwasher. It may not even have been a label on the same container. This residue bonds strongly to plastic, I think due to their chemical affinities. Rubbbing alcohol and boiling-hot water may help soften or dissolve it. Acetone will also help, but may discolor or dissolve some common plastics, particularly polystyrene (recycling code 6).

If these solvents fail, resort to intensive scrubbing using scouring pads or steel wool. It'll scratch the living crap out of the plastic, but you'll see little shreds of the residue coming off. This method works best when combined with hot water or a solvent.

share|improve this answer
    
Note that acetone is highly destructive of acrylic, though a lid is unlikely to be made of the stuff as it is too rigid. –  dmckee Jul 18 '11 at 20:10
add comment

Try soaking in oxiclean (percarbonate cleaner) dissolved in hot water (140-160 degrees). For homebrewing I use PBW which is like extra strength oxiclean. It's pricey but it works very well for cleaning sticky wort-covered brewing equipment and I use it to dissolve the glue on beer bottle labels when reusing bottles. Percarbonate cleaners are fine for washing food-safe plastic, just give a good rinse with hot water.

Goo gone is ok as well, but I find it often still requires a significant amount of elbow grease.

share|improve this answer
    
I suspect that the stuff on your brewing equipment is carbohydrate based, not grease. Although the oxiclean could work on grease too, I won't automatically assume that it helps. –  rumtscho Apr 4 '12 at 18:02
    
That's true, I could have also mentioned that I also use it on oil residue from frying, but the poster did not mention what the food causing the residue was. I make popcorn on the stove with oil and it leaves extremely sticky residue on my the pot, and soaking in hot water with oxiclean does a very good job at getting it off with minimal elbow grease needed. Just remembered another trick -- steaming with a clothing steamer also works well on sticky grease on my cabinets above the stove -- might work on this too. –  paul Apr 4 '12 at 21:38
add comment

409 works every time, just spray and wash.

share|improve this answer
    
What is 409 and why are you voted down for mentioning it? Is it some kind of toxic cleaning fluid used for cleaning floors and automobile fluid spills? –  Blessed Geek Oct 27 '13 at 21:39
    
Formula 409 is a commercial all-purpose cleaner brand in the US. It is not intended for food surfaces, I don't think. Active ingredients: Alkyl (C12 [40%], C14 [50%], C16 [10%]), Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (0.3%). –  SAJ14SAJ Oct 27 '13 at 22:01
add comment

I know that soaking in mixture of dish detergent and ammonia is the most effective method, but I cannot stand the noxious (carcinogenic?) fumes. Especially in the office kitchenette, when you have but two plastic lunch boxes (and a couple of plastic cutlery you conscientiously reuse) to wash.

I use a mixture of baking soda and dish detergent.

My other alternative is laundry detergent with baking soda.

I realise that baking soda is not readily available in many countries (e.g. Israel or southeast Asia), where they sell a tiny sachet for like US$1, while we could get a whole quart for $0.50 in the US. In such times, I had used the cheapest white toothpaste in place of baking soda, unadulterated with gels or substances used to smoothen the texture of the connoisseur brands toothpaste.

Then rinse on a slow trickle of hot water from the faucet. A rushing gush of water would simply wash away the mixture. (I am adamantly annoyed at people who turn the hot water full blast not knowing that such an environmentally harmful method is less effective than a slow trickle).

share|improve this answer
    
Did I write something wrong? Whoever voted me down obviously hasn't tried using mixture of baking soda and detergent and then a slow trickle of hot water. It works for me. And is it wrong to say that my office colleagues would kick me out of the office if I ever introduced noxious ammonia into the kitchenette? –  Blessed Geek Oct 28 '13 at 1:32
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.