Sign up ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It looks to be a double boiler of some sort, but we're not sure what it is.

strange pan

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 8 down vote accepted

It's an egg poacher. Looks like this exact model.

Egg Poacher

Note that these don't really actually "poach" eggs, the result is more like a coddled egg. They do essentially work like double boilers.

share|improve this answer

If you put a dab of butter in the bottom of the cup and and a raw egg over it, then steam it, you'll have coddled or shired eggs.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.