Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A friend of mine asked me to identify an appliance he saw in a picture from the Internet, and I was unable to do so. Does anyone else know what this is? I've highlighted it in the background of this image (it's the best picture I have):

Unidentified appliance.

It's the one with two handheld drawers on the bottom and conical hoppers up top that appear to be hinged at the bottom. Given the rest of the items in this picture, perhaps it has something to do with coffee? My guess is that it's a coffee roaster.

share|improve this question
This is WALL-E's cousin – Midhat Aug 25 '11 at 17:02
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It looks like a rotary drum coffee roaster. I can't find any pictures of one that looks exactly like it though, so I may be wrong.

share|improve this answer

Based on the confirmation from Satanicpuppy, I did a web search for "industrial coffee roaster" and I found this web gallery which seems to confirm that it is a Pinhalense two-barrel propane-fired coffee roaster. I'm going to mark Satanicpuppy's answer as correct because he/she was the first with the confirmation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.