Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

One of my wooden spoons has mould on it (black spots, not able to be removed by surface scrubbing - I went on holidays without clearing the dishwasher...).

Is there a way to remove the mould? Or should I just buy a new wooden spoon?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 15 down vote accepted

If its soaked in the spoon, I'd not risk it for an inexpensive wooden spoon. A soak in a bleach solution is the common treatment though. I'd buy a new one or replace it with a high temp silicone spoon (no unremovable mold issues in the future then!)

share|improve this answer
3  
+1: years ago, my Dad had a problem with mould in his homemade beer. He replaced all the equipment with no joy. Turned out it was the wooden spoon he used to stir the malt; soaking it in bleach didn't help. He switched to a metal spoon after that. –  Vicky Sep 19 '11 at 15:33
3  
Yeah just toss it. Not worth the effort unless it's like your mom's favorite spoon, and in that case, seal it and hang it on the wall as a warning to future spoon users. –  Katey HW Sep 19 '11 at 16:00
1  
yeah, I kind of figured it was a goner when I saw that the mold had gone deep into the spoon. A pity though - it's the spoon I use for all my sweet cooking, and is decorated accordingly! I don't even know why it was in the dishwasher to start with :( –  KimbaF Sep 19 '11 at 20:24
    
@KimbaF ya, I don't put wood in the washer. –  rfusca Sep 19 '11 at 21:03
add comment

rfusca raises a good point - if you're worried that it's actually penetrated deep, you might just replace it.

That said, I'd just use sandpaper. Hopefully it's just a surface stain, and you won't have to take much off, but you'll be able to see how deep it's gotten as you go!

share|improve this answer
1  
Please don't use sandpaper on active mold. You'll kick mold spores up everywhere and somebody could get sick. –  rfusca Sep 18 '11 at 21:06
    
@rfusca ... good point on the spores -- you might be okay with wet sanding, but in most cases, I'd just replace it. (with another wooden spoon ... silicone has its place, but it's no replacement for a wooden spoon) –  Joe Sep 19 '11 at 0:23
1  
@rfusca: I think it's a manageable problem, like Joe said, with wet sanding, or just doing it outdoors with a bit of moving air. It's certainly bad to breathe in high concentrations of spores, but you're not going to get that from this unless you're sitting inside with no ventilation and your nose right in it - and maybe not even then. –  Jefromi Sep 19 '11 at 0:55
    
@Joe I've never had any issues from when I replaced my wooden spoon with a silicone, nor have I heard a compelling reason before. Could you elaborate? If not here, pop in chat and drop a reason - I'd love to discuss. –  rfusca Sep 19 '11 at 1:09
3  
@rfusca: Even stronger silicone spoons aren't as solid as wood. You can't really scrape the bottom of a pot with them, for example. (Wood is also just pretty.) –  Jefromi Sep 19 '11 at 1:12
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.