Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My kids love making brownies, but every now and then the water gets into the bowl while they are melting the chocolate. The chocolate then seizes or splits, and you have a sodden mess.

Can this chocolate be used for anything?

At the moment, it just goes in the bin.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 17 down vote accepted

If you're not talking about very much water getting into the bowl, then these techniques should help.

  1. Remove the bowl of chocolate from the heat source.
  2. For every ounce of chocolate, add one tablespoon of one of these: warm water, melted butter, vegetable oil, hot milk/cream.
  3. Stir or whisk until smooth. Add a bit more liquid if needed.
  4. Use the repaired chocolate for sauce, frosting, or a batter (like for your brownies!). It won't work well for coating candy.

You may also want to check out this discussion on how to melt chocolate without getting it wet.

share|improve this answer
add comment

If it was just a few drops of water, keep mixing for two or three minutes while keeping the chocolate warm. The water will evaporate and the chocolate will remix. If it is more water, use it as @JustRightMenus suggested.

share|improve this answer
add comment

At the very least, put it in a sauce pot with some milk for killer milk chocolate. Or:

Eat it right out of the bowl.

Put it inside a rolled up puffed pastry/pie dough for a homemade strudel/thingy.

Mix with eggs, flour, oil, and milk for chocolate cake.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.