Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I forgot the mascarpone yesterday, so it sat in my bad in the living room for half a day and the night, instead of in the fridge.

The question is, of course, is it still ok to use? It looks fine, of course, or I wouldn't be

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

Cheese is a cultured product, so you should follow the advice in the question:

How do you know when a cultured item is no longer safe to consume?

Since it's been acidified and (if it's store bought) probably also pasteurized, it's very unlikely that any harmful bacteria would be able to compete with the "good" bacteria. Most cheese never go bad in this way - they just go sour, rancid and/or grow mold.

Which means that if it looks fine and smells fine and tastes fine, it should still be safe to eat.

Cheese is essentially preserved milk; it was originally intended to be stored at room temperature (before refrigeration existed), it just keeps its quality longer in the fridge.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.