Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My 3-year-old and I were sharing our traditional mix of Christmas nuts. He's getting pretty good at cracking them open by himself, and wanted to know what the part he eats is called. Anyone have an authoritative answer?

Christmas nuts, from Wikipedia

share|improve this question
up vote 16 down vote accepted

I've always heard the "meat" of the nut, or "nutmeat". Alternate terms include "kernel" or "seed" or, well, "nut".

If you were to ask a botanist, the edible part is the embryo and the endosperm, though it varies depending on which type of seed you're referring to. Also, for a few seeds—not sure if any of them are called nuts—we eat the seed coat as well (e.g., beans).

share|improve this answer
Meat of the nut or "nutmeat" is correct - – Jacob G Jan 5 '12 at 14:28
@JacobG interestingly enough, that also validates "Kernel" – Yamikuronue Jan 5 '12 at 14:30
I would have said kernel. Nutmeat sounds a bit archaic. – ElendilTheTall Jan 5 '12 at 14:35
Anyone else giggle at the term nutmeat or am I just being really immature? – Jay Jan 5 '12 at 15:15
@Jay those are not mutually exclusive options, you know ;) – Yamikuronue Jan 5 '12 at 15:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.