Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know there are dozens of types of cheesecake. But I have noticed supermarkets seem to all be making the same type of cake. It has a firm white creamcheese texture that is never tart.

What type of cheesecake is normally found in supermarkets? The ingredients include (heavy) cream

share|improve this question
This strikes me as being impossible to answer accurately without an extensive international research study. – ElendilTheTall Jan 6 '12 at 8:30
I'll remove my question, if nobody knows what I am talking about – Gabriel Fair Jan 6 '12 at 13:31
I think the type of cheesecake that Gabriel is describing is fairly specific: it's that generic stuff, not too fluffy, probably no flavor besides vanilla. I don't know if it has a name, but I think it's a reasonable question. – Jefromi Jan 6 '12 at 14:12
My answer isn't very specific but might help point people who know more about cheesecake in the right direction. – Yamikuronue Jan 6 '12 at 14:16
I think Elendil's point was that unless you expect us to read your mind and know what scope you intend (e.g. major supermarkets in Helsinki) we have to go on the only scope you've provided, which appears to be all supermarkets in the world. Why don't you buy one and add its ingredients and a photo of a cross-section? – Peter Taylor Jan 6 '12 at 18:56
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Google search for various grocery store cheesecakes reveals:

Is that what is meant? If so, it appears to be a fairly generic baked New York style cheesecake. Wiki says frozen ones often include sour cream instead of heavy cream, so they'll freeze better.

share|improve this answer
This is what I was asking about. Thank you. Sorry for the vagueness. – Gabriel Fair Jan 21 '12 at 12:40

If it's just based on cream cheese and eggs, it's just a generic cheesecake, for which I don't think there's a name besides simply "cheesecake". (Call it "basic" or "plain" for emphasis if you like.) I believe I've seen plenty of this in stores.

If the ingredients include (heavy) cream, then it's a New York-style cheesecake. It's still a very basic one.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.