Recently, I bought two pieces of cheese - St. Agur and Pyrenean cheese. They were cut from wheels, not pre-packaged. At home, I removed the foil and placed them in the same plastic container in the fridge.
Two days later, the Pyrenean cheese had some mold with bluish tinge on the surface. I assume the seller has stored the cheese properly, so it shouldn't have gone moldy by itself in the short time in my fridge. I think that the benign mold from the blue cheese colonized the Pyrenean cheese. Still, I decided not to risk eating it (I still ate the blue cheese).
Is this what really happened? If it happens again, can I assume that it is edible mold? Is it safe to eat edible mold after it has colonized another type of cheese, or will the changed food prompt it to produce dangerous byproducts?
Also, could I have prevented it by having the cheeses individually wrapped in foil inside the same container, or would only keeping in different containers stop mold propagation?