Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know of this grater via German cooking, but it may NOT be specific to Germany. Regardless, I am trying to determine the name of this kind of grater so I can purchase one. The grater is actually raised up on the side you rub the potato on, exactly like I have nutmeg graters.

Here are some pictures.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Can anyone tell me the name of tis grater? Bonus if you can point me to a website that sells them.


share|improve this question
They used to refer to this style of grater as a 'rasp', but these days when you search for that, you also find the 'microplane' type graters. – Joe Feb 3 at 7:58
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Curved grater - there ya go.

share|improve this answer

Kartoffelreibe Is the German name for it I just try to find one to buy but they on ebay and the shipping is unexplainable high, for the Kartoffelreibe about 10 they charge 80 for shipping. Would settle for a used one.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.