Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I found a cookie recipe which requires "English Toffee bars". I have never seen them around here, and don't know what they are.

What are these bars? Is there any substitution I can use? How close are Toffifee candies?

If it just said "toffee", I would cook it at home. But I am unsure what the differences are between an English toffee bar and normal toffee. Can I still cook it? How does it differ from normal toffee? Or can I just put normal toffee in the cookies?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

English toffee is very chewy - the kind of stuff that glues your teeth together! Once it has been cooked and set, it's not easy to handle and wouldn't be easy to chop up for a cookie recipe. You'd possibly be better off with some kind of fudge which is easier to handle but will still hold its shape in a cookie.

share|improve this answer

It's just a HARD bar of toffee. It often looks like a chocolate bar, as it is marked into break-off segments

Toffee Bar package

Modern "English Toffee" recipes call for toffee with a chocolate coating dusted with chopped nuts. I don't think this is really traditional English toffee

Use regular butter and sugar toffee as a substitute

share|improve this answer
Break-off segments of toffee? In 24 years living in England I don't think I ever saw something like this. – Peter Taylor Mar 19 '12 at 12:32

If the origin of the recipe is American, by "English Toffee" they probably actually mean Heath Bars. Heath Bars are, of course, chocolate-covered, but it's occasionally possible to find "bare" Heath toffee in the baking aisle of various supermarkets.

If the recipe is British or French in origin, it could refer to chewy English toffee (per Red Spatula), which is quite different. If it's from some other country, who knows?

share|improve this answer
Yes, they mean Heath bars (it is specified in the recipe). But I have never seen them here in Germany. Any ideas for a substitute? – rumtscho Mar 25 '12 at 22:44
@rumtscho Wikipedia suggests Skor or Daim/Dime. – Yamikuronue Jul 21 '12 at 18:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.