Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does anyone know which is the dish where we have a pot/pan of boiling vegetables/meat in the center and people sit around it with their noodles and soup bowls and keep picking things from it and eating?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think you mean a hot-pot stew (huǒ guō). There are many styles, Wikipedia has a fairly good article about it.


share|improve this answer

In Japan they call it nabe. Sometimes they add rice to it instead of noodles. As nico pointed out it is essentially a hot pot stew.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.