When I make chocolate mousse, I usually end up with a slightly rubbery surface on the mousse.
To make the mousse, I do the following:
- Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water
- Separate 2 or 3 egg whites from the yolks
- Whip the egg whites
- Mix the yolks in with the chocolate and add a bit of sugar
- Fold the egg whites in with the chocolate mix
- Transfer to bowls and put in the fridge
Usually when I go to eat them the next day, there is a rubber like surface on the mousse, but underneath it's nice and soft.
I am just wondering what causes this, and how to prevent it?