Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I searches around a bit and found that the same manufacturer often offers forms under all three names, so I don't think this is a synonym. Also, I found a forum thread (in German) suggesting that there is a difference, but not explaining the difference.

So, what is the difference between the three pans? Is it the proportions (height vs diameter vs inner cylinder diameter)


gugelhupf pan


rodon pan


bund pan

share|improve this question
Here at least those are all bundt pans. Bundt pan refers to the inner cone and fluted sides. It does not imply anything about the design of the fluting or the size of the pan. According to wikipedia the Bundt pan is a trademarked name of a pan modeled after the German Gugelhopf. – Sobachatina Jun 28 '12 at 20:17

Wikipedia to the rescue.

Gugelhupf is the generic german name for Bundt which is how it's known in the USA.

Rödön is a village in Sweden where they claim to have invented the 'sandwich cake' (even though this cake doesn't seem to resemble the Bundt at all).

If you read the article about Bundt, you'll see that the designer took elements of Scandinavian pan designs, so there might be a relationship with Rödön.

In Dutch, these are called 'turban pastries' for the shape of the pan. The German word Gugel means hood.

share|improve this answer

The Gugelhoph is, according to my cake-baker wife, the ancestor of the Bundt. The main difference is that it's slightly shallower than the Bundt, and its flutings are at an angle, producing a swirl effect, whereas Bundt flutings are parallel to the tube.

Rodon fought Ultraman in Episode 19.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.