Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any way to know when moldy cheese (in my case, Gorgonzola) is no longer good to eat, without trying it? Mine is about three weeks old and I really can't tell any difference.

share|improve this question
1  
you can eat your cheese without problem, ripe cheese lasts in the fridge much longer than three weeks –  rumtscho Jul 11 '12 at 23:24
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

If it grows a grey or pink mold around the edges, or a black mold, throw it out. That's an undesirable mold. Those molds aren't usually dangerous, but they can make the cheese taste bad. With gorgonzola cheese specifically, the mold is injected in to the cheese via needle-like things, and then it grows veins from there. If a mold is a different color and it's coming from somewhere other than the veins, that is probably not a good mold. See also this question. .

share|improve this answer
    
is this the same for most blue cheeses? also, does grey or pink mold also grow when it goes bad from not being refrigerated for a while? –  amp Oct 21 '13 at 17:10
add comment

The only time I had Gorgonzola go off it went slimy and wet looking so if it does that or develops a new mould that looks a new colour I'd throw it out.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Does it still smell tasty? I noted a distinct ammonia smell in a package of crumbled gorgonzola that had been sitting in our fridge a while - it still looked good, but upon trying a small sample, it was inedible, tasting more of industrial cleaner than cheese.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.