A peel is the utensil used to transfer loaves into the oven: Image source: Wikipedia
I've done a couple of them using some wood boards I had on hand. I made them for a home electric oven. But now I'm planning to make one from scratch for a wood fired oven.
What characteristics should one look for a peel?
- What characteristics will have different materials: plywood, block of wood, metal, ...
- If they are made of plywood, what kind of glue should be used to join the boards?
- What kind of wood? Which metal?
- Should they be flat? Wedge shaped (like the one in the picture)?
- If they have a detachable handle, what system would be faster to change? Less prone to loosen?
- How to choose the length of the handle? The material?
- Any differences between a home oven one and one for a professional/large oven?
Note: I originally wrote the question thinking in making a peel, but actually it should be interpreted as how should a peel be, independently of how you manage to get it (make it, buy one, ...).