Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the local Asian market I saw a couple of names that I didn't recognize. Has anyone heard of a green, called Tan Ho in Chinese? It looked like arugula, tasted like a typical green. Maybe a little peppery. Does anyone speak Chinese/familiar with this?

share|improve this question
i was more than a little impressed that you got this. – wootscootinboogie Dec 26 '12 at 4:07
Thanks. It's just your basic google-fu. I don't know any more than what's in those links, though; that's why I didn't post an answer. – Josh Caswell Dec 26 '12 at 4:27
up vote 6 down vote accepted

There are actually two kinds of tonghao (as it's called in Mandarin). The one that looks like arugula is called shantonghao (mountain tonghao). You can saute it with garlic. The 'regular' tonghao has rounder leaves.

Both types of tonghao are used in hotpots - you just cook them for a short while and they're done. Similarly, they're used in savory tangyuan soup. Tangyuan are small glutinous rice flour dumplings - some are filled with ground meat, some just plain. The savory soup has tonghao, tangyuan, and shallots.

This is in Taiwan at least - I'm not sure whether people do different things with tonghao in other areas.

share|improve this answer
thanks for the info :) – wootscootinboogie Mar 5 '13 at 21:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.