Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

this is hopefully a simple question. I have had several friends from Eastern Europe, and they often visited with a bottle of a family-style distilled beverage. It is made with pretty much whatever fruits are available (I've had plum, prune, cherry, etc). The closest I can come with the pronunciation is "trweeka," but that is from memory so I could be slightly off. It would be found in the Ukraine, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Moldova, Poland... those types of places. I am hoping someone may be familiar and know the proper name in Cyrillic and transliterated to English? I'd like to learn more about it.

share|improve this question
Kvass perhaps? I've seen that in eastern europe, it seems to be used as a catch-all term in some areas. – GdD Apr 8 '13 at 16:01
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think you mean Tuica. This is a Romanian liquor, made from fruits. It is quite similar to Palinka, a Hungarian liquor with a protected name.

share|improve this answer
THIS IS IT! Thank you thank you thank you. I really appreciate it!! – Matthew Apr 8 '13 at 16:34

In the Czech Republic (and other countries around us) we have a drink made from fruits called "slivovice"

share|improve this answer
Awesome! I was hoping I could find someone local who could provide an answer. We just finished a bottle of rachya (again, based on phonetics and not spelling) from Macedonia, and it turned me on to some of the cool home distilled things coming out of that part of the world. I appreciate the feedback! – Matthew Apr 8 '13 at 16:58
You're welcome! The drink you're talking about now is rakia, not made in the Czech Republic under that name but great nevertheless:) – jkottnauer Apr 8 '13 at 17:07

If you mean 'distilled', then in Poland it would be "bimber". But there's also a beverage made by mixing a strong alcohol (spirit) with various fruits (or coffee ;) ) and leaving it for half a year or longer. This is called "nalewka"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.