Some bamboo cutting boards are glued together with adhesives that have formaldehyde in them — which could eventually leak into and contaminate food. When buying a bamboo cutting board, make sure that it has a non-toxic label on it in order to avoid this.
Bamboo and other wood boards from China are probably glued using cheap phenol formaldehyde resin, which is highly toxic until cured. Once cured, you would have to ingest are large amount of it to get sick, or breath the smoke from burning it. Incidentally, it DOES cause immediate pain, and may also cause long term cancer. The amount you would ingest from a cutting board would be insignificant, if at all, and the toxins do not bio-accumulate
The bamboo cutting board I have seems to have 3 layers of wood. The thickness is around 1.2 cms.
What is about "curing"? How does that help in reducing the impact of the glue?
I wanted to understand that how does the glue get in the food in this case and what can be done to prevent or minimize this from happening?