I have recently noticed a rather large amount of small worms in the fresh cod I am buying. I have tried to take them out as much as I can and of course have spoken to my fish supplier about them, but he assures me they are harmless. However, I don't believe my customers would be as assured. Is it okay to serve this fish, taking into account I might miss a worm or two?
Live parasitic worms are to be expected in raw fresh fish, and need to be dealt with in one of three ways:
There may be other ways to neutralise parasites, such as Eskimo-style fermented fish - but these are unlikely to be of use to you.
There is a difference between safety and palatability, though, and your customers might reasonably expect to be served fish without visible parasites.
Parasites in fish are common. In short, your fishmonger could have done a better job of pulling them out (unless you bought them whole). They are not deemed harmful if cooked properly (see the FAO link below).
There are guidelines and standards about the number of Nematodes in a given amount of fish. Some types of fish are more susceptible than others, so you may wish to change your order from COD and Monkfish to something else.
Here is a document from FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations). It explains how the worms get there, the safety precautions and how to avoid serving them.
An excerpt on safety (for permanence):
This depend entirely on how you are preparing the fish.
If you are cooking the fish to FDA's 100% safe temperature of 140F(for fish) then there should be no issue.
If you are serving the fish a bit rarer than that (120-130F), it is unlikely the worms can survive the temperature but it is still possible.
If you are serving the fish raw, then there will be issues. The parasitic worms will stay alive in your stomach for quite a while. Eventually your stomach will kill it but that can take weeks, sometimes even months. In the mean time, the host of this parasite will experience symptoms such as violent abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting.
I pulled a curled up, dead worm out of my cod just this past weekend and still finished my meal. I read about them and they do not seem to pose a hazard to humans. They are FISH parasites and highly unlikely to survive in the human stomach for very long. And (not to be TOO gruesome) they've likely been chomped to death already in one's mouth prior to entering your acid-filled stomach. Anyway, 5 of us ate the cod and nobody had any sort of adverse reaction (and the fish was delicious).
protected by Community♦ Apr 28 at 6:36
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?