I have a few recipes that require marinating meat in yogurt (usually poultry), but none of them are particularly clear on what to do with the meat after marinating, but before cooking. For example, I have a chicken tikka masala recipe that essentially states:
- Remove chicken from marinade
- Put on skewers and grill; begin cooking sauce
- Remove chicken from skewers and add to sauce
In this example, every time the chicken goes from the grill to the pan of hot sauce, the excess yogurt on the chicken immedietely curdles, giving the sauce an almost gritty look to it. Given this dillema, I have a few questions regarding the yogurt marinade:
- As a general rule, are you supposed to rinse the yogurt marinade off of the meat prior to cooking it?
- If not, what is the best way to prevent the excess marinade from curdling in the pan?
- Is there any particular type of yogurt that is better for marinades?