Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to make Nigirizushi with a fish similar to Escolar (also called Butter Fish), but prefer not to use that fish.

Are there other fish with a similar taste and texture?

share|improve this question
Healthier in what way? We don't answer questions about health here. Be specific about what you want. – Aaronut Sep 28 '13 at 12:53
@Aaronut: well, the main point was to find an alternative with similar texture and similar taste, the healthy part it's not that important in this case. – pconcepcion Sep 28 '13 at 14:10
Edited to make this a simple similar fish question. – SAJ14SAJ Sep 28 '13 at 14:26
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Escolar is not butterfish. It is considered to be more closely related to the Oilfish species.

Butterfishes are from the family Stromateidae, which does not include Escolar.

As far as I know, there are no digestive issues reported with butterfish. That "wax ester" is highly localized to Escolar and Oilfish. So if you're looking for a "substitute", just use actual butterfish. Source it from somewhere you trust, or look for a more specific label like Pomfret or Harvestfish.

share|improve this answer

The wiki article had some helpful information. In answer to your question, the article included the following quote, "Escolar has been mislabeled or otherwise confused with the following fish: Atlantic cod, oilfish (related to escolar but in a different genus), rudderfish, blue cod, black cod, king tuna, grouper, orange roughy, sea bass, gemfish, Chilean sea bass, albacore tuna, and white tuna."

The wiki article, which includes more information that you might find of interest based on your question prior to edit, can be found here:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.