Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just love Gorgonzola and I find myself eating it somewhat often. Are there any health related issues that I should be concerned about considering the ingested mold?

I have heard rumors about the relationship between blue cheese and cancer, but I can't remember exactly where and how serious it was.

share|improve this question
    
If yogurt is sold as a 'pro-biotic', I would assume blue cheese would be, too. –  Joe Oct 21 '13 at 13:22
1  
@joe: Mold is a fungus, not a bacteria. Unlike bacteria, there are no symbiotic fungi in the human body. However, we eat fungus all the time and there is no evidence to suggest that the Penicillium in blue cheese is any more toxic than your basic button-top mushroom. –  Satanicpuppy Oct 21 '13 at 16:49
    
Whoe. You have broken one of the 10 commandments of this forum. Do not ask about nutrition, health, medicine ... and don't ask for recipes! –  Blessed Geek Oct 22 '13 at 0:56
    
@Satanicpuppy : ahh ... good point. –  Joe Oct 22 '13 at 21:02
add comment

closed as off-topic by SAJ14SAJ, Aaronut Oct 21 '13 at 12:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on nutrition or requests for medical advice are off-topic here; you should contact a qualified medical professional instead." – SAJ14SAJ, Aaronut
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.