Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have come across a few recipes that envolve a mix of goat cheese, cream and other hard cheeses. They're called 'royale' for some reason. Can anyone define the term 'royale' in this context. What makes a royale and if you use any other soft cheese aside from goat, is it still called a royale?

share|improve this question
Can you give an example or pointer? This does not match the only two culinary definitions of this term that I am able to find. –  SAJ14SAJ Oct 21 '13 at 14:09
thestaffcanteen.com/image/… here is a dish that uses the term. and one more here; bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/goatscheeseroyalandp_88196 –  Charlotte's cook Oct 22 '13 at 0:39
It could be a liberal interpretation of Eierstich (Royale): germanfood.about.com/od/soupsandstews/r/eierstich-recipe.htm The goats cheese recipes seem to produce pudding like textures which may be similar to the texture of a proper royale. –  leon Nov 3 '13 at 22:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.