Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I left brown rice in my rice cooker for 10+ days and unsurprisingly, some dark mold grew on the rice while I was gone. Will hot water and detergent be enough to remove all mold spores from the rice cooker, or should I just toss out the whole thing lest I die from mold spore toxicity?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Hot water and detergent might be enough, but after serious mold growth, I'd use a disinfectant. The easiest way to do this would be to disinfect your cooker with bleach, which is very effective at killing mold on non-porous surfaces. After thoroughly washing and rinsing your cooker, make a solution of 10 parts water to 1 part bleach and allow it to soak in your cooker for a few minutes, then dump it out and allow the cooker to air dry.

Using Bleach on Mold (note that the caveat here is that bleach isn't effective for porous surfaces. Anything that you're cooking on should be an acceptable surface for using bleach on.)

share|improve this answer
    
My rice cooker insert and lid are dishwasher safe. Barring that, I totally concur with bleach. –  Jolenealaska Dec 3 '13 at 0:48
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.