Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Is there a name in English for the process of turning ingredients of a dish into liquid through boiling them long enough?

Usually this happens as cook's errors, but at times it's the desired effect (e.g. you may create an excellent, smooth, creamy sauce by simmering the ingredients for a long time).

Judging by what Google Images show, it seems that "overcooking" usually means burnt or nearing burnt fried/grilled food, which is definitely not the same thing.

share|improve this question

migrated from Dec 10 '13 at 3:49

This question came from our site for speakers of other languages learning English.

marked as duplicate by SAJ14SAJ, Jefromi Dec 10 '13 at 4:02

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

How about "overboiling"? – Damkerng T. Dec 9 '13 at 16:13
Are you thinking of reduction? – Tyler James Young Dec 9 '13 at 17:54
This question might be more appropriate for ELU. – Tyler James Young Dec 9 '13 at 18:11
@TylerJamesYoung Or on a cooking forum. – Jay Dec 9 '13 at 18:14
I thought it might be trivial, but doesn't seem so. Well, I'll try Seasoned Advice. – SF. Dec 9 '13 at 20:17
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The phrase you may be looking for is "boil to (a) mush".

share|improve this answer

It appears simply there is no word in English to describe this process, and you have to use descriptive expressions like "simmer until dissolved".

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.