Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 900 ml can of Saloio olive oil. I lack any idea of how to open it.

enter image description here

The top of the tin is more-or-less seamless (see photo), and lacks any sort of indicator as to how this may be accomplished. At the rim, the metal on the top folds over the outside of the tin, and I've tried wedging flat instruments of all manner in there to no avail.

So, I'm wondering: what is the best way to open a container like this?

share|improve this question
Back in the days when motor oil came in metal cans, they sold spouts that would punch a hole and clip onto the side so you pour easily ... I have no idea if anyone made food-safe ones. It's possible that the company that canned the oil also sells a way of opening/using it. – Joe Jan 27 '14 at 17:47
I have the same tin - it's a fantastic olive oil - but mine has a plastic pulll-out spout. Check the bottom of it for a red octagonal plastic piece - this is the pull-tab to pull out the spout, and it's attached to the spout cap. You'll need to pierce the spout once it's out and uncapped - squeeze the can to get the oil out. – RI Swamp Yankee Jan 28 '14 at 13:31
Please also note - the oil will go rancid if not used quickly, and will have the potential to make a mess if the can is mishandled. Once open, the oil should be transferred to a tinted glass or a stainless steel container designed to store and dispense olive oil. – RI Swamp Yankee Jan 28 '14 at 20:29
Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately no spout! Just metal all the way around... – jkjenner Jan 30 '14 at 18:02
up vote 8 down vote accepted

I would suggest using a can punch. Punch a hole on both of the shorter sides on top, one to pour with and the other to allow air flow.

If you are unsure what a can punch is.... here is a pic

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
Growing up, we always called them churchkeys. No idea why – Adele C Jan 27 '14 at 5:08
@AdeleC - they're most common use until around the 70s was for opening beer cans. For some, that's a religion. – Pete Becker Jan 27 '14 at 13:35

I find that using the corner of my clever nearest the handle to make small holes on two of the corners of the can is best, for me anyway. You can control the size of the holes and make for a more controlled pour. By the way, the churchkey is called that because the pointy end pointed up looks like a steeple.

share|improve this answer

Is there some reason you can't just use a normal tin-opener?

I mean one like this:

tin opener

You can take the whole top off the tin that way or use it to make two small holes on opposite sides for pouring / letting air in.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.