Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I moved into a new home and found these spikes left behind in different drawers in the kitchen. I assume they are for cooking, but they are not items that I have come across in my limited culinary experience. Can you help me identify them and maybe suggest a recipe that uses them?

Mystery spikes

In the background is a large spike-stand.

The foreground, is a bunch of six individual spikes with two 90 degree bends, and a sharp point on the long side.

They may have been supplied with the oven (gas stove, electric oven) or the combination microwave/grill, or maybe have nothing to do with them at all (or cooking in general) and may have nothing to do with each other.

share|improve this question

The spike stand in the background looks like a ticket puncher that you'd see in a cafe. As in, after you pay your ticket, the staff member pokes it through the spike to collect them all.

Example of receipt spike

share|improve this answer
It turns out to just be coincidentally visually similar. See my answer. – Oddthinking Feb 27 '14 at 11:15

They Z shapes look like roasting spikes (or skewers)

Used for odd shaped birds and meat cuts to make suitable for even roasting, especially on a spit-roast (rotating roast machine)

The Z shapes spikes are used to hold out a flap, or to hold two parts together. The bend is used to lock it in place against another part of the meat, or against another spike

The spike with the stand is most likely a receipt spike, though I have seen similar things used to hold roasts up of the tray to stop "soggy bottoms", and to let the fat drain off

share|improve this answer
I have been googling for images of roasting skewers, and haven't found anything that looks similar. – Oddthinking Feb 11 '14 at 20:19
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I have a definitive answer. I found a manual to the combination microwave oven, which is a Samsung C108STBC or similar.

The accessories to this oven (which can grill and/or microwave) include:

  • a roasting spit (also referred to as "roasting stand") which is the larger spike.

    The roasting spit is a convenient way of barbecuing a chicken, as the meat does not have to be turned over. It can be used for grill combination cooking.

  • the skewers that fit into a plastic "coupler" that I found in another cupboard drawer (it looks a little like a cotton reel and I would have never picked it as something to be put in an oven). Together, the skewers are mounted vertically in a circle to form a "multi-spit".

    Using the multi-spit with 6 kebab skewers you can easily barbecue meat, poultry, fish, vegetables (like onions, peppers or courgettes) and fruit which have been cut into pieces.

share|improve this answer

My mother used small skewers in baking potatoes, although not shaped like yours. (The metal supposedly conducted heat into the potatao centers to speed baking. I was and remain skeptical of the efficacy of this) I agree that the single unit looks like an order spike.

share|improve this answer

This looks like a divider stands for your bowls inside the drawers.

share|improve this answer
Can you provide an example link, so we know what you are referring to? – Oddthinking Feb 11 '14 at 20:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.