Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is this utensil or kitchen tool called that has a rubber-like head and a wooden handle? What is it used for?

rubber head tool

share|improve this question
If you ever need reminding of what it's called: – user26064 Jul 21 '14 at 2:36
up vote 10 down vote accepted

That is usually called a rubber spatula, even though they're rarely made of rubber. The ones I find most useful are made of silicone, and are heatproof. This one by OXO is one of my favorite gadgets.

They're for stirring and for clean scraping bowls and jars and such. The heatproof ones are great for use with non-stick cookware while sauteing.

share|improve this answer
I have that OXO one, but I much prefer the all silicone coated steel core ones like this:…. The joint between the silicone head and plastic handle can get funky on the OXO one. – Tremmors Jul 20 '14 at 10:42
@Tremmors Is the head of the OXO one not detachable for cleaning? I have a couple of very cheap silicone spatulas and every now and again, I just pull the heads off and clean them. (I agree that the ones you link that avoid that completely would be a definite improvement.) – David Richerby Jul 20 '14 at 11:30
@DavidRicherby The head does come off for cleaning, but I never feel like I can really get in there to clean the cavity properly. – Tremmors Jul 20 '14 at 12:30
@Tremmors Yeah, those look pretty cool, but you'll only get mine from my cold dessicated hands! (I love that gadget) Since it goes easily in the dishwasher, crannies don't bother me. – Jolenealaska Jul 21 '14 at 11:59

Although I grew up calling them a 'rubber spatula' (and most of 'em are silicone these days), I've also heard them referred to as a 'rubber scaper'.

There are also 'bowl scapers' which are effectively a larger head of a rubber scraper; there's no handle, which gives you better leverage for really scaping sticky things out of a large bowl.

share|improve this answer
Yep, and the wooden handle in the OP would not be charming. – Jolenealaska Jul 21 '14 at 13:38
@Jolenealaska : in many cases, I prefer wooden handles; I've snapped way too many plastic handled spatulas when trying to scrape something particularly sticky. – Joe Jul 21 '14 at 14:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.