Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a standard measurement that can be used?

share|improve this question
There are so many types of both... so I'd choose a general workaround (see the answer). Considered downvoting the question but didn't. – Tobias Op Den Brouw Aug 19 '10 at 10:05
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The bouillon cubes I am familiar with are equal to 1 teaspoon of powder.

share|improve this answer

I'd figure it backwards. You need x amount of Bouillon. You can see (from the specific powder AND the specific cubes) how much you'll need of each to make that x amount.

Then calculate the ratio based on those numbers.

Then cook, and discover there's a taste difference, and correct accordingly. :)

share|improve this answer
Generally, they tell you that one cube should be combined with X cups of water. Powdered boullion is 1 teaspoon per cup, usually. If a boullion cube says to dissolve in 2 cups of water, then it's the equivalent of two teaspoons. – Martha F. Aug 19 '10 at 16:09

The bouillon cubes I use (Wyler's) states on the jar that one cube makes ONE cup of broth. Crushed one to see how it measured up and it came to one teaspoon. Also the reliable sources I've checked all say one cube = 1 teaspoon (tsp). Hope that helps.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.