1. What is the advantage of a steel skillet over a cast iron one? I currently use cast iron for most everything and am curious what I might be missing.
2. If there's an advantage to getting a steel skillet as well, what would be recommended?
3. Is a steel skillet good for cooking omelettes?
Here's my current cast iron skillet arsenal, measured inside bottom:
- Wagner Size #3 - about 5 inches
- Wagner Size #6 - about 7 inches (the most used pan in my kitchen)
- Lodge - about 8 inches
I also have two 8 inch nonstick skillets previously used for sauteeing and eggs... and they are losing the nonstick surface. I've killed 6 nonstick pans in 5 years, and I'm done with them.
I'm looking to get a new egg pan, thinking about an enamel-inside pan, as that's what my mom used exclusively for eggs.
In case it's relevant, I also have 1.5, 3, and 3.5 quart All Clad pots (all pieces in this set except the 10" fry pan).