Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just discovered the joy of slow cooking meat, separating the juice, then boiling it to a reduction, then simmering the meat in its own concentrated juices (with some other tasty ingredients added).

So is there a name for simmering slow cooked meat in its concentrated juices?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

This would be what I would call stewing. From the FreeDictionary:

"A dish cooked by stewing, especially a mixture of meat or fish and vegetables with stock."

I suppose you could also coin your own, new term call "modified-reduction-stewing." Oh, wait, that's mine! Make up your own ;--)

share|improve this answer
modified-reduction-stewing => mo-re-stew => more stew – user1575 Sep 10 '10 at 0:44
I like it! Accept my answer??? What about modified re-stewing ;--) Because you are, in essence, re-stewing the meat after, right? – nicorellius Sep 10 '10 at 16:15

Sounds like braising, though while it's traditional to concentrate the juices afterward, it's optionally delicious to throw everything back in to simmer in them.

Braising is a pretty general term though: it also applies to slow cooking in any concentrated juices, or even un-concentrated juices (though this is not recommended for best results).

share|improve this answer
What do you mean throw everything back in? You mean for leftovers? – user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 19:43
I looked up the definition of braising--close! but not it. Braising requires the food to be cooked in dry heat first (ie browning the outside of a roast) then simmered in a liquid. – user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 22:08

This process is called confit. It is a french term meaning 'cooked in own juices'.

share|improve this answer
Confit does not mean "cooked in own juices", on the contrary it is used for food which is preserved by submerging it in fat (for meat) or sugar syrup (for fruit) – rumtscho Apr 18 '15 at 14:39

are you talking about sous vide?

share|improve this answer
This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. - From Review – talon8 Nov 18 '15 at 20:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.