Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just discovered the joy of slow cooking meat, separating the juice, then boiling it to a reduction, then simmering the meat in its own concentrated juices (with some other tasty ingredients added).

So is there a name for simmering slow cooked meat in its concentrated juices?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

This would be what I would call stewing. From the FreeDictionary:

"A dish cooked by stewing, especially a mixture of meat or fish and vegetables with stock."

I suppose you could also coin your own, new term call "modified-reduction-stewing." Oh, wait, that's mine! Make up your own ;--)

share|improve this answer
modified-reduction-stewing => mo-re-stew => more stew –  user1575 Sep 10 '10 at 0:44
I like it! Accept my answer??? What about modified re-stewing ;--) Because you are, in essence, re-stewing the meat after, right? –  nicorellius Sep 10 '10 at 16:15

Sounds like braising, though while it's traditional to concentrate the juices afterward, it's optionally delicious to throw everything back in to simmer in them.

Braising is a pretty general term though: it also applies to slow cooking in any concentrated juices, or even un-concentrated juices (though this is not recommended for best results).

share|improve this answer
What do you mean throw everything back in? You mean for leftovers? –  user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 19:43
I looked up the definition of braising--close! but not it. Braising requires the food to be cooked in dry heat first (ie browning the outside of a roast) then simmered in a liquid. –  user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 22:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.