Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I read about candies that have "fondant" in the middle used as filling - what is it? Are there other uses for it?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

There are two types of fondant: poured and rolled.

Poured fondant is sugar and water that has been cooked to the soft-ball stage and then beaten until creamy and opaque. If you've ever had a Cadbury Creme Egg, the filling is fondant.

Rolled fondant is the icing commonly used on wedding cakes. It is also used prominently in cake baking TV shows, such as Ace of Cakes. It too is primarily sugar and water, but it also has gelatin, glycerin, and glucose to thicken the sugar but keep it pliable.

See also:

share|improve this answer
Interesting, I've never heard of poured fondant, only rolled. Ya learn something new every day. – Dinah Sep 11 '10 at 4:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.