Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking at this bread recipe and it says to use "Bakers Yeast" but when I make pizza dough I just use regular yeast (which I also have in my cupboard at the moment). So I'm wondering if I could just use my regular yeast instead of bakers yeast?

share|improve this question
Question asked 2 hours ago. Answered 2 hours ago. Answer accepted... Shoudn't we wait little more, even if the answer seems fine? – Cornelius Jul 13 '10 at 15:55
I generally come back to my questions and review them if there are better answers – lomaxx Jul 13 '10 at 21:21
up vote 6 down vote accepted

There is certainly a difference between different yeasts. Different kinds of yeast react differently, are happy at different temperature ranges, produce different amounts of gas, live for different amounts of time. In my little world, however, it's better to use a yeast that you use commonly and understand than it is to experiment with a different yeast that may not behave the way you expect.

The thing is, "bakers yeast" is a generic term. If it called for rapid rise yeast, and all you had was active dry yeast, I'd say to go out and buy some, or your bread would end up flat. Chances are you have one of those two kinds. They'd both work in most recipes, but each have their peculiarities, and you'd need to adjust.

I'd give it a shot, and see how it comes out. If your bread ends up whacky, then try something else.

share|improve this answer
I would propably give it a whack with the most common yeast in the country, in Denmark that would be "compressed yeast" I think the english term is. – cyberzed Jul 13 '10 at 14:02

According to wikipedia, bakers yeast comes in many different types, one of which is active dried yeast, which I think is 'regular' yeast. So to answer your question, no i don't think there is any difference save for the moisture content, and therefore how you might need to use it.

share|improve this answer
'regular' depending on where you live, see comment on Satanicpuppy's answer – cyberzed Jul 13 '10 at 14:23
indeed, which is why I quoted it. according to wikipedia danish 'regular' (compressed yeast as you said) is one of the forms of bakers yeast as is active dried, which would be 'regular' yeast in the UK, and I think America. I assume that anyone referring to it as 'regular' is from the US. – Sam Holder Jul 13 '10 at 14:52

Probably what you have in your cupboard is Baker's yeast. Baker's yeast is a pretty generic term and could refer to instant yeast or active dry yeast. I'm not sure what your recipe is asking for.

There is a brief explanation of types of yeast here: Beauty and the Yeast

I hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.