Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a recipe for an Italian cookie that I remember having as a child. The cookie is shaped like a gnocchi or cavatelli but is much bigger, about 1.5 inches long and slightly larger than a quarter in diameter. It is distinctly 'C' shaped, though. The cookie was fried, probably deep fried, and then soaked in honey. The color is a very deep, dark brown.

The cookie is very dense but flaky. There was not a very strong flavor other than the honey that I recall (i.e. not anise-flavored or something strong like that). The texture is what I'm really after, I think.

It is not a Zeppole (it doesn't puff up) or a Bow Tie (not as brittle in texture, certainly not as thin) or the little pea-shaped cookies (Struffoli?).

Based on our family tree these are probably going to be a Southern Italian cookie, from Calabria. But that's just a guess/hint.

share|improve this question
It sounds delicious! – Bluebelle Nov 2 '10 at 9:17
Hey ... the cookies are fried ! Why the "baking" tag??? :D – Dr. belisarius Nov 15 '10 at 19:48
up vote 18 down vote accepted

Gnocchi shaped? I am pretty sure they are Turdilli! .

It's a traditional Calabrian recipe: alt text

alt text

They are deep-fried:

alt text

alt text

And hot-soaked in honey too:

alt text

Same biscotti, slightly different shapes:

alt text

alt text

Bear in mind that fried cookies soaked in honey are a traditional treat for carnival and Christmas seasons all over Italy, so you may find many, many similar recipes. From :

Evviva i Dolci di Carnevale rigorosamente fritti, che ricevono nomi diversi secondo i luoghi. In Toscana chiacchiere o trecce, e poi frappe laziali, castagnole romane, frittelle di riso molisane, fritole triestine, nigelan altoatesini, sfincitelle siciliane, tortelli romagnoli, bomboloni fiorentini, cicerchiata umbra e chi più ne ha più ne metta!

At left with figs syrup, at right with honey:

alt text

A full blown italian fritti feast:

alt text

Turdilli recipes in Italian

Turdilli recipes in English

Video: Making Turdilli

A shop near my house sells turdilli (hold your envy)

share|improve this answer
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner -- thanks!!!! – Joe Casadonte Nov 18 '10 at 2:16
LOL: Your shop is blocked as 'pornography' from here!!! – Benjol Dec 22 '10 at 8:14
@Benjol It works for me. Perhaps you have some kind of anti-fat filtering :) – Dr. belisarius Dec 22 '10 at 15:35

The following might lend some hints, or jog some more of your memory?

share|improve this answer
Nothing seemed to be right -- thanks – Joe Casadonte Nov 2 '10 at 0:35

I believe you might be looking for Cartellate, or Honey Pinwheels? Check this site out and see if they look familiar. There are a lot of different recipes for them, but some of what I came across look like what you were describing.

share|improve this answer
No, definitely not -- the shape is all wrong. The cookie I'm remembering is a cylinder about 1.5 inches long. – Joe Casadonte Nov 10 '10 at 14:35

Maybe you are thinking about Krumiri? They are very popular in Italy.

alt text

share|improve this answer
They don't seem to be fried or covered in honey, so I'd say no. Both of these things were a fundamental part of the cookie, so I don't seem them as a simple variation. – Joe Casadonte Nov 14 '10 at 13:39
Ops, misread you question :-) – Sklivvz Nov 14 '10 at 14:11

It sounds like the cookie my family makes. we call it a dudela it is a dough that gets rolled on a grater then deep fried and soaks in honey with an orange peel.

share|improve this answer
You must be southern Italian, like my family. I believe my grandfather called them "durdeel", which would be the southern pronunciation of turdilli. – Joe Casadonte Dec 23 '13 at 14:59

my family calls them sculeete, but not sure that is the right spelling. Ours were braided and had whiskey, ginger, etc

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.