Take the 2-minute tour ×
Seasoned Advice is a question and answer site for professional and amateur chefs. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I had a tin of golden syrup for a long time - longer than I care to admit. When I opened it up yesterday (to sweeten up some mulled wine), it was granular (a bit like honey can be), and black around the edges.

Is this 'bad', or just different?

Is the blackness the result of some chemical reaction with the tin?

share|improve this question
The black stuff is most likely the crystallised minerals from the sugar. It's normal, and occurs more often if you let the contents dry out –  TFD Dec 7 '10 at 8:31

7 Answers 7

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Golden Syrup improves with age according to Heston Blumenthal's "In Search of Perfection". Here he analyses a 70 year old glass jar of Tate and Lyle Gold in the lab finding that the "older treacle contained the same flavour compounds as the normal stuff, but each was intensified".

In his recipe he fakes the ageing process by baking the tin at 70ºC (158ºF) for 24 hours noting that the flavour will continue to improve up to 100 hours.

share|improve this answer
+1 That validates my point that it does not go off. Also, very interesting, as I always heat my tins in the oven before use with the lid ajar, so that the syrup becomes more fluid for ease of use. Might inadvertently improve the end result! –  Orbling Dec 8 '10 at 0:42

My favorite saying is When in doubt throw it out. Having said that you should throw that away. The black can either be from the oxidization of the tin or it could be bacterial growth. In either case golden syrup only has a shelf life of about two years; or one year after being opened, and it should be refrigerated after opening. The granulation could be fixed by reheating but the black is not worth the risk.

Edit: Correction where I said bacterial it should be in fact mold growth I misspoke thank you for catching that bikeboy389.

share|improve this answer
Black around the edges makes me wary, too. Granulation is normal. –  Mrs. Garden Dec 6 '10 at 18:52
The black stuff is unlikely to be bacteria, as the extremely high sugar content is pretty antibacterial (the sugar tends to dry out the little beasties). It is susceptible to mold, however, so I'd still think you'd want to pitch it if it's discolored. –  bikeboy389 Dec 6 '10 at 21:43
Well, it's all gone now, some in the bin, and some in the mulled wine. No untoward symptoms as yet :) –  Benjol Dec 7 '10 at 5:41
-1 NEVER refrigerate sugar products. They are perfectly persevered in...ummm...sugar. They have exceptionally long shelf lives if keep in a cool pantry, like tens of years! –  TFD Dec 7 '10 at 8:29
Just wanted to add a bit of information: lylesgoldensyrup.com/faq.php The FAQ says not to use past the "Best Before" date. –  Varuuknahl Dec 7 '10 at 16:25

I used some today and noticed thee best before was 2004! Still alive and the biscuits were lovely. BB dates are only a guide, even bottled water has a best before date.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, it's a best before date, not a 'you will die after' date :) –  Benjol Dec 13 '10 at 5:41

Golden Syrup pretty much does not go off. It is a blend of sugars and preserves as well, it should keep for many years. It will crystallise slightly over time though that can usually be solved via warming.

Bacteria is highly unlikely, mould can form on it - that would be a reason to chuck it out, possibly not all of it. The only serious issue is from the tin itself corroding, which is what the black area could be. I've known households to use that stuff from a 20 year old tin and have no issues whatsoever. It definitely does not need refrigerating any more than sugar does.

share|improve this answer
Unless you know someone is allergic to mold, it's usually safe just to scrape the mold off the top, and then clean the container. This happens with maple syrup from time to time. –  Chris Cudmore Nov 24 '11 at 21:38
@Chris Cudmore: Aye, quite true. I am allergic to mould myself, so am the special case. But even I occasionally do such things if very careful. –  Orbling Nov 25 '11 at 14:49

I've just thrown away an open tin of the syrup, as I thought it had a funny aftertaste. Still within the sell by, but open for about a year.

share|improve this answer

Is the tin can dented? If it is then it is likely that the coating inside the can was broken by the dent leaving the real tint exposed to the honey. You can try heating the honey and tasting it to see if there is a metallic after taste. If so, I suggest you throw it. But it is highly unlikely for honey to spoil/

share|improve this answer
the question is about golden syrup. referring to it as 'honey' is a little confusing... –  Sam Holder Dec 6 '10 at 15:23
Other than the use of the word 'honey' throughout the answer is valid. –  Orbling Dec 7 '10 at 0:56

Sweetheart, if you have doubts- just chuck it! It's not worth a couple bucks to eat something that you think will could make you sick full stop.

share|improve this answer
that's an easy answer that anyone can do –  Theta30 Mar 19 '13 at 2:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.