This morning I put 60g dark chocolate (pieces) into a glass jug and heated it in the microwave for bursts of 10 seconds, while stirring, to soften it.
I then added a table spoon of cold, extra thick cream and gave it a couple more bursts/stirs to melt and mix them together.
Obviously, the mixture was fairly warm but as there was not much cream involved I thought it would be ok to mix and whip.
I added ~300ml of cold, extra thick cream, mixed it until smooth and evenly chocolate coloured and then whisked with a hand mixer.
The result was 10-20 seconds of smooth, but not "whipped" chocolate cream and a sudden change to lumpy, mud-like chocolate cream.
I tasted it and found it to be palatable, but not aesthetically pleasing as it was clearly not "whipped". If I wanted an edible scene which included a muddy garden I'd be winning. (I don't.)
Do I need to re-chill the chocolate+cream mix before attempting to whip it?
Did I curdle (and thus should avoid eating) the cream?
EDIT: I finally got it to work by melting chocolate into a small amount of cream with the most minimal microwave heating. This was the refrigerated and when I returned (after work) it had completely solidified, so I heated for 10 seconds and whipped into the rest of the cream. This worked perfectly.