When I make hamburger patties for the kids I like to add extra grated vegetables in there - usually zucchini, carrots, and onion. Also some herbs. Unfortunately when I cook them the burgers disintegrate most of the time in the pan - I don't even try to cook them on a BBQ as I know they'll fall through the cracks into the fire.
I have tried adding an egg or 2 to bind it together better, but perhaps I need to add more? But which part of the egg is the binder? The yolk or the white? If I add 4 yolks will it help - or would I be better adding 4 egg whites? Or do I need the whole egg?
If it helps:
- I try to use the 80/20 beef mince,
- include wheat bran or breadcrumbs as filler,
- squeeze the extra liquid out of the mix when forming into patties,
- put a dimple in the top for expansion,
- refrigerate for 30 minutes before cooking,
- and then cook on a high heat for 4 minutes each side with the lid on.