I come from a Moroccan background where they prepare a dish call 'Harshuf'. The name is from the main ingredient stalks of the artichoke plant. It is cooked with lemon and chicken.

Does anyone know what artichoke stalks are called in the US?

  • @Andrew - in the past "where can I find..." type of questions have been closed as too localized. Asking about names for artichoke stalks across the world would be on-topic, but as this question stands I think it may be closed. – justkt Dec 17 '10 at 20:00
  • Do you have a link to a recipe? I'm just curious, no bearing on the question. My googling has been unsuccessful - though your question is at the top of the list! – Cascabel Dec 17 '10 at 20:02
  • @justkt: I have modified the question to be on-topic? – Andrew Stein Dec 27 '10 at 16:08
  • @Jefromi: I do not have a recipe on line. It is a traditional family recipe. – Andrew Stein Dec 27 '10 at 16:08
  • 1
    Is cardoon what you're looking for? It's very closely related to artichokes, and is grown for the stalks. Availability may still be a problem - it's not common, but it's definitely out there. I know my grandmother manages to find it in grocery stores here (Texas) with reasonable frequency. – Cascabel Dec 27 '10 at 21:26

Cardoon is what I am looking for. Thanks to Jefromi for supplying the answer in the comments.

P.S. from Jefromi: according to the Wikipedia article linked above, it's also called artichoke thistle, cardone, cardoni, carduni or cardi.

| improve this answer | |

The correct name of Harshuf in English is Cardone. It's usually sold in farmer's markets. Here is a website where you might be able to get it: www.oceanmist.com.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.