Many regions have special devices or at least custom namings to brew tea and similar beverages:

  • Teapot in Western countries
  • Caydalnik in Turkey
  • Samovar in Russia
  • Samavar in Kashmir

Is there any special appliance, either a corresponding naming of such for brewing masala chai?

  • I am curious for an answer other than a regular pan.
    – Max
    Dec 1, 2019 at 20:58

1 Answer 1


In my house, we have a rectangular-cylindrical metal pot that is used to make only chai. It does not have a specific name, although the class of utensils that it comes from are called patila (Hindi), patela (Marathi) (attaching a picture) patila or patela. In my experience, most Indian households do have a seperate patila/patela for making chai. Hope this helps!

  • thank you!!! please share a picture if possible; it looks like you were going to but there has been an issue with that.
    – J. Doe
    Feb 13, 2020 at 8:19
  • 1
    Yes, I was trying to, but I just couldn't. I'll figure out a way to attach pictures soon. The image link is in the answer; it seems to be a formatting problem.
    – P. J.
    Feb 13, 2020 at 10:50
  • I've tried to access the link directly but get "access denied". You can also drag and drop the image, or upload it to Imgur and take the URL from there.
    – J. Doe
    Feb 13, 2020 at 12:51
  • Okay, will do ASAP
    – P. J.
    Feb 14, 2020 at 9:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.