People love hot dogs.

What is this hot dog grilling machine called in everyday spoken English?

Image of machine

  • 22
    Native AmE speaker here. For real, I'd call that, "one of those hot-dog roller griller thingies". I'll try to give you a better answer after looking.
    – Jolenealaska
    Feb 16, 2020 at 4:41
  • 29
    Not enough for an answer, but I think it's probably better to specify it as a "hot dog" grilling machine, rather than a "dog grilling machine", just to avoid misunderstandings when people don't have a visual.
    – Cubic
    Feb 16, 2020 at 13:25
  • Thank you for this question! It reminded me that I've intended for awhile to have it on my Amazon wish list along with this - and then my kitchen will be complete!
    – davidbak
    Feb 17, 2020 at 1:23

1 Answer 1


After looking at a few examples on Amazon, I'd go with "hot dog roller grill". There isn't any correct or non-correct way to say it, but any American would know what you mean.

  • 9
    Just plain "roller grill" is probably enough; they're often used for other similarly-shaped food. Feb 17, 2020 at 4:11
  • 1
    @Chrylis-onstrike- It looks like Roller Grill is a brand, that makes all kinds of machines and accessories related to cooking. They do make the machine OP is asking for, and call it a Professional Sausage Heater with various number of rollers. Feb 17, 2020 at 13:33
  • 1
    @LarsKristensen I've always heard it as "roller grill" when convenience stores are advertising the types of food cooked and served on them, so I suspect the name has become genericized, much like Xerox and Kleenex.
    – Allison C
    Feb 17, 2020 at 14:50
  • Reading the question in the sidebar: roller. I personally wouldn't include the "grill". Source: Native speaker who often craves gas station hot dogs. Feb 17, 2020 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.