There are many procedures for seasoning a new unpolished granite mortar and pestle from Thailand.
Some sites recommend:
- Wash without soap and dry completely
- Crush garlic, maybe with salt and peppercorns. Let it sit for 30 minutes to 24 hours, then rinse, and dry.
- Add either wet or dry rice into the mortar and mash the rice to a paste/powder. Repeat until rice paste/powder remains white.
Another site recommends:
- Rinse with clean water (no soap) and let it air dry.
- Grind a small handful of white rice. Discard and repeat until the rice grinds white.
- Add 4 cloves of garlic, mash and muddle them together.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper to the garlic. Grind it all together and discard.
- Rinse once more (without soap) and allow to air dry.
Cooks Illustrated just recommend dry white rice.
What is the best way to do it? What is the logic for each step and the sequencing?